Reservations:

2014 TASTING SERIES: Announced

Click Here

FRIDAY NIGHT JAZZ: Featuring Dick Lupino

Click Here

CHEF THOMAS DUFFY: On Cox's Chef 2 Go

Click Here

Undated photograph of The Chanler, perhaps in the 1940s or 1950s
John Winthrop Chanler
History of The Chanler
First known photo of Cliff Lawn, shortly after completion

CLIFF LAWN - EARLY YEARS

The structure that is The Chanler at Cliff Walk was built by Civil War-era New York Congressman John Winthrop Chanler (pictured above right). Construction began in 1870 and was completed in 1873 at the steep cost of $30,000. The building was built to be the summertime retreat for Chanler and his wife, Margaret Astor Ward – great granddaughter of the first multi-millionaire of the United States of America, Mr. John Jacob Astor. The building remained a summer home within the Chanler family for approximately 50 years, hosting prominent figures such as President Theodore Roosevelt and poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow throughout this portion of its history. During this era it became known as "Cliff Lawn".


The Mansion in 1918

A PERIOD OF MANY CHANGES

During the times after ownership of the building left the Chanler family until the 1940s, the building went through many incarnations. During this time, however, the mansion was predominantly still known as Cliff Lawn. For a short time it operated as the Tolethorpe School for Girls, was a summer home to Bishop Francis Patrick Keough, operated as an apartment building to house predominantly Naval officers, and was even used for a short time as a historical museum, among other uses. Some of the artifacts from its days as a museum have actually been worked into the current décor.


BECOMING A HOTEL FROM THE ASHES

On October 28, 1944, while the structure was operating as an apartment building for Naval officers, a fire broke out on the third floor from an oil heater in the main section of the house, causing moderate damage to the third floor. After the damage from the fire had been repaired, the building then opened as a hotel for the first time shortly after World War II.

In its original state, the structure was a 30-room hotel, and was sold in 1956 and renamed Cliff Walk Manor, as it remained for over 40 years.


BECOMING THE CHANLER

The Cliff Walk Manor was sold in June 2000 to Detroit businessman John Shufelt, who subsequently closed the hotel to embark on an extensive three year renovation and refurbishment to the building. Shufelt sought to bring attention to the history and original elegance of the mansion, while at the same time creating a luxury hotel and restaurant experience as had not been seen before in New England.

Along with his wife, Jeanie, Shufelt reopened the hotel in 2003 in its current format as The Chanler at Cliff Walk.